Saturday, July 18, 2020

In the Middle of the Mess

In these days of super-cleanliness, disinfecting, and hand sanitizer, we are trying to eliminate all the messes in our lives. After all, the good book says, cleanliness is next to godliness, right? Not! The Good Book, the Bible, says that the One who loves us without limit or condition cares for us in the middle of our messes. Psalm 23 says He prepares a table for us in the presence of our enemies, in the middle of our mess.
 
Imagine the battlefield scene in a war movie where the smell and smoke and gunpowder hangs in the air. Soldiers in camo with dark-smudged faces are crawling in a muddy field. In the middle of the dirt and the noise is a table; a table with a white cloth, fine china, cloth napkins, and food prepared by God Himself! Not the perfect setting but the perfect table, and the perfect dinner partner. He invites you to sit, to rest, to talk, and to be refreshed. In Song of Psalm 18:19 David says of the Lord, "He led me to a place of safety, he rescued me because he delights in me." (NLT)
 
I don't know what your mess is. A relationship? A job, or jobless, situation? A child? Grief? A habit? A fear? Whatever it is, Jesus is inviting you to focus on Him, not the dirt, the pain, or the turmoil. As women, we tend to see dirt, clutter, and the mess! If the room is 90 percent clean we will see the 10 percent that is not. Jesus tells us to keep our eyes on Him, His is the source and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). Take your eyes off the distractions around you for a minute and look across the table at the Lord who is sitting across from you. Your Host calls you to enjoy personal time with Him. In the middle of the mess, in the darkest hour, He is there at the table saying, "Look at me, let's talk and eat." Just like Jesus called Peter to focus on Him when he walked on the water, and when he looked away he sank, Jesus is calling us to keep our eyes on Him.
 
So what is this Good Shepherd offering us? "He is all that I need...He lets me rest...He leads me...He strengthens me... He guides me...He is close by me...He protects and comforts me" (Psalm 23). Wow! I DO have ALL I need! Before He asks anything of us, He gives to us; and then HE extends the invitation. "Come! Come sit, I have prepared this meal for you. Before the mess is clean, before the pain is gone, before everything is fixed, my feast is ready for you."
 
The choice is clear, focus on the mess or eat with the Master? Easy choice if you keep reading and see the aftermath of enjoying the meal with Him. "My cup overflows with blessings... goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life..." Cleanliness may not be next to godliness but godliness IS keeping our eyes on Jesus in the middle of our mess.
                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment